What a difference a wig makes.

For my 50th birthday I gathered friends & familiy together for a little party at a local pub. I had been planning my birthday celebrations on and off for about a year but I didn't decide on a theme until two months before the actual event. 

It was at a friend’s 40th birthday party that the idea came to light. I was going on my own and for some reason I didn't feel as confident as usual. I tried various outfits on and in the end I settled for a little cocktail number. Makeup was applied and nails polished but something was missing....

In one of the drawers in my studio there are some props. There are bags, ribbons, necklaces, gloves and a red wig that actually belongs to my daughter. I put the wig on and I felt wonderful! My confidence absolutely sky rocketed and I was ready to party.

As I walked into the pub where the party was taking place, people didn't recognise me at first. It was the typical look and look again scenario - "You look like.... It is YOU!"

So, what is it about wearing a wig that makes me feel so confident? Well, I think it's something about being able to see things from a different angle. This thought reminds me about a male friend in the early 1980’s. He had masses of hair that stuck up on top of his head as well as hanging down over his eyes. I asked him why the hair? He said:

“It's like hiding behind a bush and being able to observe what is really happening around you without the surrounding noticing you.” (Rumour has it that he is now working for the Swedish foreign office.)

Wearing a wig is just like that. For a while you feel invincible & I wanted everyone to feel like that from the beginig, not just  after a few pints.